Thursday, June 2, 2011

Family trip


A couple weeks ago, we went to visit my parents in St George. On the way there, while I was driving, we suddenly got caught in a flash flood/hailstorm that sent us sliding down I-70. Because of my amazing stunt-driving skills (actually, the Lord just really blessed us), we were the only car out of 4 caught in the storm that didn't slide into the ravine. We were a little shaken up by the experience, but we feel so blessed to have been safe, and are grateful the passengers in the other cars were all fine.
The rest of the our trip was smooth-sailing. We helped my mom clean and do the yard since she is still in pain from her surgery. We went on a few hikes, including the Lava Caves in Snow Canyon and the Ledges. SO MUCH FUN! It was so great spending quality time with my parents, especially since we haven't seen them since Christmas.
For our trip home, we decided to take the back roads instead of the usual I-70. It was seriously one of the MOST BEAUTIFUL drives I have ever done! We went through Lake Powell and Page, Arizona, up to Mesa Verde. We then stayed the night in cabin near Mesa Verde, and spent the next day touring Cliff Palace, Balcony House, Spruce Tree House, and doing other random hikes in the area. (PS. We forgot our camera!) We also saw ALOT of kivas... I honestly had no idea how amazingly cool the cliff dwellings were! The Puebloans were very efficient and good with stone. But, it did leave me wondering what happened to the people, and why they decided to up and leave their cliff dwellings. Was it disease that made them leave? Drought? War??? It's hard to say, but it certainly keeps me guessing. Needless to say, we had a wonderful vacation and are so excited to see our northern Utah family later this year!



1 comment:

  1. So glad you're safe. And SOOO jealous that you got to see Mesa Verde. I really need to go. Archaeologists believe that one of the biggest reasons the Anasazi left is because of drought.

    ReplyDelete